Sunday, May 3, 2009

3 Billion in coupons issued every year.

Today I was doing some reading online and found some staggering information.

Canadian Manufacturer issues approximately 3 BILLION dollars worth of coupons every year, and only 3 million are actually redeemed. That is amazing to me. If individuals actually redeemed the coupons that were issued, imagine the savings that we could all have.

For some individuals there is a belief that if you use coupons you must be poor, or not have money so you are dependent on using coupons to make ends meet. That is far from the truth. The reason why I use coupons, and why I know many other do is that it is the smart thing to do. Why would you just flush money down the toilet, when manufactures are giving you money to use towards your purchases. That's right, coupons are money, and if you pass by a display of them and disregard them you are flushing money down the toilet.

I have a belief that there should be no reason to purchase something at regular price. It just does not make sense to me. If you can save money why not do it. This year so far, not counting the saving that I have made by purchasing products on sale, I have save in coupons alone over $500 dollars. That is $500 more that I have in my pocket that I can use towards other items that we want, or just even to save for my sons education. It's just being smart to me and nothing more.

Why would I pay 5.99 lb for Chicken Breasts if I can buy and stock up when they are on sale for 2.99lb. My family eats an average of 3 lbs of chicken a week. That means by just buying chicken on sale, I am saving $9 a week. Over a year that means I have saved $468 dollars alone on chicken.

I guess it is just something that I will never understand. Why buy at regular price and waste your money instead of saving money by purchasing something on sale and by using coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment